History of St. Paul Univesity at San Miguel
The SPC Foundation in San Miguel, Bulacan traces its roots to the incumbency of Rev. Father Honorio Resurrecion, parish priest (1936-1948), who believed that speedy progress in Catholic education could only be achieved through the help of the Sisters of St. Paul of Chartres. He requested Mother Alice de St. Paul Huchery, SPC Provincial Superior, to send Sisters to manage the school called Escuela Catolica in San Miguel. Five sisters arrived in San Miguel, Bulacan on May 23, 1938: Mother Agnes de Sainte Anne Couplan, first Superior of the community, Sister Juanita du Sacre Couer de la Paz, Sister Angel Joseph Parayno, Sister Luisa Martha Meris, and Sister Marie Remy Paredez, a novice.
The following are the highlights of the history of St. Paul University at San Miguel:
1921 – Fr. Ildefonso Carranza founded Escuela Catolica – the first parochial school in San Miguel, Bulacan. It started with Grades one and two.
1923 – Fr. Deogracias Javier succeeded Fr. Carranza. He opened Grades three and four.
May 23, 1938 – Rev. Mother Alice de St. Paul Huchery, Mother Provincial of the Congregation of the Sisters of SPC, assigned Mother Agnes de St. Anne as the first Superior to manage Escuela Catolica. The Kindergarten class was opened.
1939 – Grades five, six and seven were opened. Escuela Catolica was then changed to San Miguel Catholic School.
1940 – San Miguel Catholic Institute (SMCI) emerged. Mother Agnes got the permit for a Junior High School class.
1941 – The third year class was opened. World War II however, interrupted the classes. Fr. Resurreccion suggested the evacuation of the Sisters to Manila. Mother Agnes, together with the Sisters, evacuated to the mountains, and eventually went to Manila.
1942 – Mother Agnes and the Sisters resumed classes in San Miguel.
1944 – Sr. Luisa Martha Meris succeeded Mother Agnes. She opened the Fourth year High School class on June 3, 1944. The First High School Graduation took place in March, 1945. Massive rehabilitation was done to the school. Through her guidance, the first yearbook, The Builders, was published.
1946 – Sr. Romaine Martha became the third Superior. She worked hard to improve the school. She succeeded in increasing the enrolment of the High School by seeking a permit from the Provincial Superior and the Bureau of Private Schools for co-education.
1949 – Sr. Joseph de Jesus de Ocampo succeeded Sister Romaine. Through her efforts, the convent was repainted and repaired.
1956 – Sr. Rose of St. Joseph Encarnacion succeeded Sr. Joseph de Jesus de Ocampo. The Home Economics and the new High School buildings are tangible proofs of her ability as a manager.
1961 – Sr. Mamerta of the Cross Rocero was installed next Superior. In preparation for the SMCI Silver Jubilee, massive repairs and minor construction works were undertaken.
1963 – SMCI’s Silver Jubilee. Festive and colorful activities marked the celebration.
1964 – Sr. Chantal de Joseph Goyena (a native of San Miguel) became the Superior and Directress. Sr. Chantal together with Sr. Mary Florence Echanis were instrumental in opening the College Department.
1966 – The Tertiary Level was opened with an initial enrolment of 97 students for the Education Program.
1967 – On July 23, St. Paul School of San Ildefonso was founded as extension school of SMCI. A pilot School in Sibul Springs offering a Kindergarten Class was established. Other St. Paul Schools in the nearby town followed. San Rafael and San Antonio (in Nueva Ecija) were also opened.